Sunday 16 March 2014

So, I slipped up this weekend

So I slipped up this weekend.

I didn't just overindulge in a meal, I ate without thinking or without thought of the consequences all weekend. 

I ate McDonald's for the first time in months, fried corn fritters, potato bake, a huge brekkie cook up with pork sausages, pita with dips and a huge bowl of Nonna's risotto last night with a side of cheese and salami.

I can honestly say I have not eaten that much, or that unhealthily in such a short amount of time in over a year, before I started my healthy lifestyle.

It was almost like I forgot who I was and it was scary to see how easy it was to slip back into the old me.

I lay awake last night looking for the lesson to take away from this, and I thought of a few steps to handle a slip up and how not to let it ruin the good thing you've got going...
Diet fail


Ask yourself why.

Why did I eat that much this weekend?
I identified that it was a combination of being hung over from Friday night, so my craving for oily food was easily justified if it meant I was going to feel better. Also yesterday I had 3 social arrangements that all revolved around food. After eating as much as I did on Saturday my stomach was stretched and I didn't feel the regular alert that I was full. I honestly didn't even think about the consequences at that point, I was on auto pilot, and looking back now, it was dangerous!


Don't give up. Don't let one slip up make you give up. My 2 day binge came after 18 months of healthy eating, and in the grand scheme of things is just a a drop on the ocean.
You have to let yourself have the occasional slip up without being too hard on yourself, but you can't let it throw you over the edge and let your sense of self loathing make you punish yourself by quitting all together. The mind is a powerful tool if you use it the right way.


Make it up to yourself. After a setback, repay yourself by doing something that makes you feel healthy and good. Use your setback as motivation for the rest of the week.
I will use the image of me stuffing my face as motivation to eat clean and exercise. I'm writing this while on the exercise bike, and I'm working harder at the gym today than ever before to make up for my slack weekend.  I'm also staying away from carbs today, and I will feel better for it! I'm making up for it, so I know that when slip ups do happen, it's a minor setback and its easily rectified!


Plan ahead. A huge part of the fact that I over-ate this weekend was that I didn't plan. I rocked up to each engagement that I had and just ate. I would normally plan it through at the start of the day, identify that it was going to be a challenge and only eat what I needed to, while still enjoying my food. I know I don't ever have to go without, but I blew out the scale when it came to the healthy balance.
Talk yourself through the events you have and make yourself a little promise/bargain to get you through.

I'm physically going to write down my get-through-Easter plan, as I know that's my next big weakness, and I'll be sure to share it with you.

Share This!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Distributed By Blogger Themes | Designed By Seo Blogger Templates